Open Accessibility Menu
Hide

COVID-19 Vaccine

Vaccinations have proven to be the most effective way to protect individuals from COVID-19 and from the risk of serious illness or hospitalization. Hendrick Health encourages eligible individuals to get vaccinated for COVID-19. To find a vaccine near you, visit vaccines.gov, text your ZIP code to 438829, or call 1-800-232-0233.

Primary Vaccination Schedule

Vaccine Brand Name Who Can Get this Vaccine [ 1 ] How Many Shots You Will Need When Are You Fully Vaccinated?
Pfizer-BioNTech People 5 years and older 2 shots
Given 3 weeks (21 days) apart [ 2 ]
2 weeks after your second shot
Moderna People 18 years and older 2 shots
Given 4 weeks (28 days) apart [ 2 ]
2 weeks after your second shot
Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen People 18 years and older 1 shot 2 weeks after your shot

1 If you have had a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) or an immediate allergic reaction to any ingredient in the vaccine you are scheduled to receive, you should not get that vaccine. If you have been instructed not to get one type of COVID-19 vaccine, you may still be able to get another type. Learn more information for people with allergies.

2 You should get your second shot as close to the recommended 3-week or 4-week interval as possible. However, your second shot may be given up to 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose, if necessary.

Vaccine Booster Shot

If you received Who Should Get a Booster When To Get a Booster Which Booster Can You Get
Pfizer-BioNTech People 12 years and older
At least 6 months after completing your primary COVID-19 vaccination series
Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna (mRNA COVID-19 vaccines) are preferred in most* situations.
Teens 12-17 years old may get a Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 booster
Moderna Adults 18 years and older At least 6 months after completing your primary COVID-19 vaccination series Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna (mRNA COVID-19 vaccines) are preferred in most* situations.
Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen People 18 years and older At least 2 months after receiving your J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccination Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna (mRNA COVID-19 vaccines) are preferred in most* situations.
*Although mRNA vaccines are preferred, J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine may be considered in some situations.

Visit the CDC website for more information about COVID-19 booster shots.

Visit the CDC website for information about COVID-19 Vaccines for Children and Teens.

COVID-19 Vaccine Questions and Answers

If I’m vaccinated for COVID-19, when will I be protected from the virus?
The COVID-19 vaccine doesn’t protect you right away. It takes up to two weeks after the SECOND shot for your immune system to fully respond and to provide protection.

Do I still need to wear a mask after I’m vaccinated?
Yes, you will need to continue to wear a mask. Researchers are still unclear if a vaccinated individual can carry and pass on the virus to others. Continue to wear masks, wash hands often and stay at least 6 feet away from others.

I’ve already had COVID-19. Do I still need to be vaccinated?
Individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 may still benefit from getting vaccinated. Because severe health risks are associated with this virus, people are advised to get the COVID-19 vaccine even if they have been sick with COVID-19.

How effective is the COVID-19 vaccine?
Pfizer and Moderna both report that their vaccines show approximately 95% efficacy at preventing mild and severe symptoms of COVID-19.

Can I get COVID-19 from the vaccine?
No, you cannot get COVID-19 from the vaccine. The COVID-19 vaccines created by Pfizer and Moderna do not contain any of the virus or other infectious material in them.

Are there side effects to the COVID-19 vaccine?
Side effects may occur and include pain at the vaccination site, fever, body aches, headaches and fatigue for a few days. Studies suggest more noticeable side effects after the second shot. Experiencing side effects does not mean that you have COVID-19, but instead it’s a signal that your immune system is responding. Side effects are considerably less severe or lasting than the illness itself.

If I have allergies, can I still receive the COVID-19 vaccine?
The CDC reports that people with allergies to certain foods, drugs, insects, latex and other common allergens can still get the COVID-19 vaccine. A very small number of patients have reported severe allergic-type reactions.

NOTE: If you have had a severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis) to injectables or other vaccines, discuss the risks with your physician. If vaccinated, you should be monitored closely for 30 minutes after vaccination. At this time, the CDC does not recommend that anyone who has a severe allergy (such as anaphylaxis) to any of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine ingredients get this vaccine.

What happens if I lose my vaccine card?
The Texas Department of State Health Services uses the Texas Immunization Registry, ImmTrac2, to keep vaccine records. Contact the health department in the county you receive your vaccine to obtain a vaccine replacement card.